Thursday, July 19, 2012

Becoming Real

 "Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes don't see as well and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand" The Velveteen Rabbit

 

I love the Velveteen Rabbit. I cry every time I read it. Growing up my favorite toys to play with were my stuffed animals. I had to make sure I loved them so that one day they would be real. I thought all 115 stuffed animals were alive. Every time I got a new stuffed animal I would introduce it to the rest of the gang. To make sure no one got jealous of the time I spent with the new addition, I would have a talk with the rest of my stuffed animals about how I loved them all and they needed to be nice to their new friend. 


Although I loved all of my stuffed animals, there were a few that had a very special place in my heart. I have treasured these toys, and saved them for Alina. This week I presented them to her. As I pulled each one out, telling her their name, and who gave them to me, I realized how much life these stuffed animals really did have. They held very important memories of the people that I love. One big fluffy teddy bear named Blinkems was the last gift from my grandma before she passed away when I was 12. The dog pictured up above was made by my other grandma who just recently passed away at the age of 91.  One tough Christmas, I believe I was 8, I remember anonymously receiving a box from a church member. I remember how excited I was opening that giant box, and pulling out this panda bear almost as big as myself. I am not even sure if I got much else that year, but I did not care. Watching Alina play with my childhood toys makes me feel as if they have become real.






5 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a sweet post. Grandma made that dog? She was one talented lady! What a special toy to pass to your daughter.

Kim said...

So sweet A! That quote from the V. Rabbit was said as vows in a wedding we did once. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. Love you!

mamak2002 said...

Really loved this blog! So sweet.

Mimi said...

I thought Aunt Sue made the dog?...hmmm.....I had another one that was tan with spots. Very sweet blog! I wish I had been able to keep my more precious animals for my kids!

Jeanine said...


Nice. very nice.